Saturday, May 2, 2009

Darn Squash

Yesterday was Saturday and I decided to make baby food for Gabriel as we were getting low on our supply. Making baby food is not my most favorite thing in the whole world, but it's not that bad either. 


First I decided to make peaches, they were the easiest of everything since you just had to take them out of the can and blend them, no extra water, no steaming them, just blend. I then decided to make squash, it was the hardest. Squash is super hard to cut up, I always have to have Josh help me and then you have to gut it and cut into small enough pieces so that it will fit in my steamer. Then even after cutting it up into small junks it's kind of like a puzzle trying to get all of it into the steamer at once, then after it cooked you have to skin it which is a pain. 

So I chopped, steamed and skinned all the squash, YAY almost done. I then go to blend the squash, which isn't the easiest job either as it is very thick and you must add water to it constantly. I had gotten all the squash blended and had it to the right consistency for Gabriel and was about to turn off the blender when I noticed something. Something that was NOT good. The squash was starting to come out of the bottom of the blender... CRAP! I frantically turn the blender off and without thinking immediately decided to lift up the blender "cup" (you know there is a motor and then there is the big cup thing that you put all the food in to blend it that has the choppers in it) so that squash wouldn't get into the motor. When I lifted up the blender cup the bottom decided to fall out completely and all my hard earned mushy squash mushroomed over the bottom part of the blender. NOOOO!!!!!! 

I have to admit I probably said a few things that I shouldn't have while I was running around the kitchen trying to find a container so I could save at least some squash, but as you might remember from my previous post about my cups, they didn't give us much when we moved in so finding a container that didn't exist wasn't easy or practical. In the end I was able to save a little bit of squash, but the majority of it was all over my counter and blender=( 

1 comments:

Becca C said...

This sounds messy! But pretty hilarious. Do you save a lot of money making it yourself?