Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ever feel like a bad mom?

Yesterday Gabriel just had a bad day! It started out in the morning. Josh had been watching Gabriel after he got up so that I could sleep a little bit longer. Gabriel started to fuss because he was hungry which woke me up so Josh brought him to my bed so I could feed him. While I was feeding him Boo fell asleep, I guess he was ready for his morning nap. Well I decided that I would get up and I moved Gabriel to the middle of the bed and put a bunch of pillows around him so that he wouldn't fall off. I'm always paranoid about him rolling off the bed because in his room he has a twin bed and all that is stopping him from rolling off there is pillows and some suitcases. So as I'm putting the pillows around him this time I thought he should for sure be safe because our bed is bigger and there are still the pillows there. Well the poor guy wasn't ok. He some how made it over the pillows and fell off the bed and onto the floor. We immediately heard his crying and I could tell it was different then one of the waking up cries. We run in to go get him and the poor guy was on his face on the floor just screaming. I felt so bad because I was the one who had put him there so I was crying too. There is no greater pain as a mother then to see your own baby in pain... and it's even worse when you know that it was your fault!


Gabriel got over the fall pretty fast. We checked him head to toe to see if there was anything broken, bruised or scratched but couldn't find a thing wrong, thank God! So we put him down for another nap a couple hours later and he slept for quite a long time. Josh left to go to our neighbors birthday party and I waited until he woke up from his nap. When I went to go get him after he woke up he had a rather large scratch on his nose close to his eye. I wondered where it came from and figured he must have scratched himself. I looked at his nails and though some were a little long and needed to be clipped there was nothing really sharp that would have normally caused a scratch but apparently that is what must have happened so I clipped his nails. 

I then gave him a book to play with while I changed his diaper. It was one of those chubby kids books, he LOVES to play with them. Well he was holding it up just looking at it when it slipped from his grasp. It was so sad because it it landed "perfectly" with the corner down and hit him right on his cheek bone, he just started bawling! I immediately scooped him up and held him while he cried... things were not looking good as the day was only half over!

After Gabriel's diaper change we went over to our neighbors to hang out with them and Josh was still there. Our neighbors are from South Africa and are black... well African people or people who are of very dark color sometimes scare Boo. He's been getting better about not crying when he sees them, but the guy wanted to hold him which we let him but Gabe didn't like that very much and got scared so we took him back.

Ok, so the day was not going well but we finally thought all the oops's were done for the day. So I'm sitting at the kitchen table eating my dinner and Josh is holding Gabriel by our couch. Gabriel has recently found out that he has the ability to retrieve things after he has lost them. So he dropped something on the floor and immediately bends over to pick it up... well Josh didn't have a very good hold on him and Boo hit his head on the edge of the couch. Poor Boo just started screaming again! Him hitting his head on the couch actually left more of a mark then him falling off the bed or dropping the book on his face. He had a purple mark on his forehead the rest of the night and went to bed early as he was tired from his long day.

Now today he is as good as new and has as many smiles as ever. The only mark that is left from his bad day is the scratch on his nose that we're not sure where it came from. 
Poor Boo Boo just had one very bad day!