Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bomb Shelter

Our school seems to have this habit of not telling us useful information. Most of the time it's small stuff but sometimes it's rather big things. For instance they didn't tell us when we got hired here that we may have to work weekends, they will let you go about paying for things that are actually free for teachers, you never know when new teachers are coming and a lot of times if shopping is cancelled on Monday nights (they provide a vehicle for us to go) we don't know until 5 minutes before we were actually supposed to leave. 


The most recent thing that we found out about that could be very useful information is the bomb shelter. See, if you haven't been watching the news you may not know but North Korea, South Korea's arch enemy if you will, has been 'flexing their nuclear muscle', according to the CNN news guys, for the past few weeks. They were starting to stir the pot a little bit before we actually left America but we didn't think too much about it. Quite a few people here in South Korea are getting more nervous that they will actually attack South Korea and some people are actually planning ahead. Heck there have even been a few people in the states asking us when we are going to leave... to answer, not yet:)

So last night we went over to a friends house for dinner and the topic of North Korea came up and what the plans were if North Korea actually decided to attack... what would we do? I don't know what we would do honestly. I have been thinking about it but haven't really made any plans. My thought is... run like hell! haha! =D I have looked on line and the US Embassy has these stations that you are supposed to go to if they are evacuating Americans and depending on what section you live in depends on what station you go to... problem is I don't know what section we live in:) Other then that, well I was thinking of packing our backpack with necessity's like diapers and a change of clothes for Gabriel, but honestly I'm not too worried yet so I haven't done too much. 

So in the conversation at our friends apartment I said that I wasn't sure what I would do if they actually decided to bomb the place... technically I don't know why they would waste a bomb on English Village... but whatever, I'm sure their bombs are big enough that it wouldn't have to be directly focused on English Village and it would still hit us. I said that I would probably grab Gabriel and run to that bathroom since it's the room that is most in the middle of our apartment. I then find out that English Village has neglected to tell us that we actually have a bomb shelter in each apartment building. So really, if North Korea had actually decided to waste a bomb on English Village yesterday morning, Gabriel and I would have been sitting on the bathroom floor when, virtually, right outside our door there is a bomb shelter... we just never knew it was a bomb shelter... so Gabriel and I would have probably died and our neighbors would be safe and sound in the hatch... sigh... gotta love this school.

So our neighbor lady and I were talking about how we should possibly check it out and see if it was clean and possibly start to think about putting just a little bit of food and water down there... you know, just in case. Soo.... this morning, after talking with Josh's family, we went outside and peaked inside the bomb shelter.

It's not exactly what either of us had thought it would be and Josh doesn't think it would keep us very safe if we actually were being bombed. At least it would be safer then the bathroom:) It's underneath the stair case that leads to the upstairs apartments...
The cover 'hiding' it is really just sitting on top of the hole but apparently it's pretty heavy... which I don't know how I would lift it if I were here by myself but I'm sure adrenaline would kick in... I am buff... umm... on the inside that is:)
The ladder going down into the shelter starts like 3 feet from the top of the hole... I don't even know how fast I could get down by myself considering the first step if forever down in the hole, much less trying to hold a baby... 
Anyway, then down in the hole is just, well, that, a hole. There is about a foot of concrete between you and day light and then all the walls are all concrete surrounding you, so just one big hole...
At least they have a bomb shelter... EVEN if they don't tell us about it! ha! None the less, hopefully we never have to use it!!!

3 comments:

Josh said...

Yeah and only a foot of the shelter is actually underground.

Unknown said...

Hm...maybe you should just come home?? Kinda feels pretty safe here :)

omabear said...

Daddy,I ask that you get Josh, Kayla and Gabe out of South Korea, before you strike disaster on the country. Thank you so much. Love your children. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks. :) You're so GOOD.