Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Afghanistan

Do people in other parts of the world interest you? Do you wonder what it's like to live in the country, living in their houses, eating their food and wearing what they wear? I do. All the time actually. 


I have been to a lot of different countries, each with it's own culture and own style. Even America, some people may say it's so diverse that it doesn't really have a culture, a style, a way of life because from state to state or even town to town things can be so different. I will have to disagree though. America has it's own culture. When I talk to people from other countries, they usually say that they can tell an American just by looking at them. They tell me that it is the manner in how we carry ourselves, look and act. I usually hear an assortment of different reasons, depending on what country I am in, but they can always tell who the Americans are. Even in Europe where I looked like everybody else, they could tell just by looking at me. Even I, an American myself, suffer from culture shock whenever I re-enter the States. In the States people have beards, wear plaid, have baseball caps on their heads (or cowboy hats), wear jeans and tennis shoes, wear white socks, make small talk all the time because they can't stand the
 sound of silence even if it's just a short elevator ride, say 'excuse me' far too often especially when they don't really need too, and apologies for everything. It's America, that's what we do there. 

Well lately, another culture and style have been interesting me. Mostly because of two books that I have read. One, I told you about, "A Thousand Splendid Suns", and another that I just finished, "The Bookseller of Kabul". Both books take place in Afghanistan and the latter of the two books is a true story. 

To be completely honest, I never knew much about Afghanistan before September 11, 2001. Even after 9/11 I didn't know much about the culture. Afghanistan was one of the countries that the world never really 'cared' about that much before 9/11 and when it did I was far too young to remember anything that was going on. When I went on my YWAM missions trip a few years ago we went to Morocco which is primarily a Islamic state and I learned much more. But I soon learned that even Morocco was different from other Arab countries, each country is different after all, in their own way. Morocco definitely wasn't as strict as many countries are. The women there could go out alone if the wanted to, date, wear modern clothes, even have their hair uncovered if they wanted to. In many Arab countries it is not like that, women do not have as much freedom. 

I do have to say that I am not trying to bash Muslims in any way before I get more into this. I have just become more interested the past few weeks about their culture, mainly Afghanistan, and their history. I know that many women actually choose to dress in Islamic attire and follow the Islamic laws. You could say that I just find it very sad that the women who would rather choose other wise do not always have that option or other wise if they did they would be shunned by family. 

Ok, so having said that. Many women in Afghanistan, and other parts of the world, are forced to wear these, they are called burka's and in some places if you are found not wearing one you can be thrown in prison and/or beaten...
It is designed to cover the woman head to toe and only have a mesh screen over their eyes. Sometimes it's a slit in the veil instead of a mesh screen, other times it's one eye unveiled while the other is covered. This particular style is most common in Afghanistan though. I saw a few women dressed close to these when I was in Morocco, they had one eye unveiled though and had to dress all in white. With a lot of burka's the women must also wear gloves so that not even the skin on their hands can be exposed. 

I find it so sad that some women are forced to wear these, only being able to take them off within the walls of their own home. Only seeing the world through a mesh screen. Never being able to see your feet or your friends faces in public. Rarely, if ever, feeling a fresh breeze hit their face or a rain drop on their cheek. Even more sad then this, I am sad that in many places the women have absolutily no rights. 

If you are raped as a women, you need to have a male witness to testify for you against your rapist, other wise you are the guilty one because you must have seduced him and then lied. If a man beats his wife, it's ok because he is the law in his own home. If you have no 'proof' that you are a virgin when you are married then you can be killed, no questions asked because you are a disgrace to your family. Daughters are auctioned off as brides at very young ages and their parents can get top dollar if their daughter is beautiful. Some women are brides as children, even before puberty and many times it is to much older men. Oh there are so many more things. I think if the average person knew about everything that goes on they would simply be amazed. 

Pick up one of the two books that I read and you will get just a glimpse into their lives. You may be screaming at the pages because you are mad but at least you will see or understand a little bit more about their lives (The Bookseller of Kabul kind of goes all over the place, it's a little harder to follow, so if I'm going to recommend one, I would probably say the other one if your looking for a story, but this book is good too and you actually know that it's a true story, not just fiction). 

I know not all women' lives who believe in Islam are like this, but there are many who's lives are like this and it makes me sad. My heart sometimes just grieves for them, or any people for that matter who don't have a choice, who are bound by laws and fear, by family and friends, by never having a hope of a way out if that is what they desire. I would hate being married to a man I didn't love, didn't know, who, in some women' cases, beat me, called me names, and I would hate it even more if my family didn't support me and told it was my place as a women and if I were to leave I would be a disgrace to them. I would hate it. It would just break me. Break my heart, my body, my spirit... I would feel like... like nothing, like no worth or like I was an animal. I can't even begin to comprehend what some women really do go through... my imagination can only bring me so far before I could break down in tears. It can make me so mad. 

I also learned more about the Taliban laws before 9/11 when they had much more control of the country. I will copy it for you below, but it is a little long. This isn't just history though, the Taliban still controls parts of Afghanistan (from everything that I have read) and people are still forced to live this way. Some people may be reading this and thinking 'wow Kayla, you're a little behind on your history' and I would probably agree with you... but I have to say that I don't think a lot of people in America know the facts I'm writing in this email... I bet more then half can't even point to Afghanistan on a map to be honest, or tell me what the capitol is for that matter. So I might be behind on my history but at least I am learning. Below is the laws if you are interested and if you have any thoughts I would love to hear what you think!



Taliban Rules, Decrees, Laws and Prohibitions
Original List of Prohibitions and Decrees, Afghanistan, 1996

By Pierre Tristam

Immediately on taking over cities and communities in Afghanistan, the Taliban imposed its law, based on an interpretation of Sharia, or Islamic, law that was stricter than in any part of the Islamic world. The interpretation is at wide variance from that of most Islamic scholars.

With very minimal changes, what follows are the Taliban rules, decrees and prohibitions as posted in Kabul and elsewhere in Afghanistan beginning in November and December 1996, and as translated from Dari by Western non-governmental agencies. The grammar and syntax follows the original.

Those rules still prevail wherever the Taliban is in control--in vast parts of Afghanistan or in Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas.

On Women and Families

Decree announced by the General Presidency of Amr Bil Maruf and Nai As Munkar (Taliban Religious Police), Kabul, November 1996.

Women you should not step outside your residence. If you go outside the house you should not be like women who used to go with fashionable clothes wearing much cosmetics and appearing in front of every men before the coming of Islam.

Islam as a rescuing religion has determined specific dignity for women, Islam has valuable instructions for women. Women should not create such opportunity to attract the attention of useless people who will not look at them with a good eye. Women have the responsibility as a teacher or coordinator for her family. Husband, brother, father have the responsibility for providing the family with the necessary life requirements (food, clothes etc). In case women are required to go outside the residence for the purposes of education, social needs or social services they should cover themselves in accordance with Islamic Sharia regulation. If women are going outside with fashionable, ornamental, tight and charming clothes to show themselves, they will be cursed by the Islamic Sharia and should never expect to go to heaven.

All family elders and every Muslim have responsibility in this respect. We request all family elders to keep tight control over their families and avoid these social problems. Otherwise these women will be threatened, investigated and severely punished as well as the family elders by the forces of the Religious Police (Munkrat).

The Religious Police have the responsibility and duty to struggle against these social problems and will continue their effort until evil is finished.

Hospital Rules and Prohibitions

Rules of work for the State Hospitals and private clinics based on Islamic Sharia principles. Ministry of Health, on behalf of Amir ul Momineet Mohammed Omar.

Kabul, November 1996.

1. Female patients should go to female physicians. In case a male physician is needed, the female patient should be accompanied by her close relative.

2. During examination, the female patients and male physicians both will be dressed with Islamic hijab.

3. Male physicians should not touch or see the other parts of female patients except for the affected part.

4. Waiting room for female patients should be safely covered.

5. The person who regulates turn for female patients should be a woman.

6. During the night duty, in what rooms which female patients are hospitalized, the male doctor without the call of the patient is not allowed to enter the room.

7. Sitting and speaking between male and female doctors are not allowed. If there be need for discussion, it should be done with hijab.

8. Female doctors should wear simple clothes, they are not allowed stylish clothes or use of cosmetics or make-up.

9. Female doctors and nurses are not allowed to enter the rooms where male patients are hospitalized.

10. Hospital staff should pray in Masjids on time.

11. The Religious Police are allowed to go for control at any time and nobody can prevent them.

Anybody who violates the order will be punished as per Islamic regulations.
General Rules and Prohibitions

General Presidency of Amr Bil Maruf. Kabul, December 1996.

1. To prevent sedition and female uncovers (Be Hejabi). No drivers allowed to pick up women who are using Iranian burqa. In case of violation the driver will be imprisoned. If such kind of female are observed in the street their house will be found and their husband punished. If the women use stimulating and attractive cloth and there is no accompany of close male relative with them, the drivers should not pick them up.

2. To prevent music. To be broadcasted by the public information resources. In shops, hotels, vehicles and rickshaws cassettes and music are prohibited. This matter should be monitored within five days. If any music cassette found in a shop, the shopkeeper should be imprisoned and the shop locked. If five people guarantee the shop should be opened the criminal released later. If cassette found in the vehicle, the vehicle and the driver will be imprisoned. If five people guarantee the vehicle will be released and the criminal released later.

3. To prevent beard shaving and its cutting. After one and a half months, if anyone is observed who has shaved and/or cut his beard, they should be arrested and imprisoned until their beard gets bushy.

4. To prevent keeping pigeons and playing with birds. Within ten days this habit/hobby should stop. After ten days this should be monitored and the pigeons and any other playing birds should be killed.

5. To prevent kite-flying. The kite shops in the city should be abolished.

6. To prevent idolatry. In vehicles, shops, hotels, room and any other places, pictures and portraits should be abolished. The monitors should tear up all pictures in the above places.

7. To prevent gambling. In collaboration with the security police the main centers should be found and the gamblers imprisoned for one month.

8. To eradicate the use of narcotics. Addicts should be imprisoned and investigation made to find the supplier and the shop. The shop should be locked and the owner and user should be imprisoned and punished.

9. To prevent the British and American hairstyle. People with long hair should be arrested and taken to the Religious Police department to shave their hair. The criminal has to pay the barber.

10. To prevent interest on loans, charge on changing small denomination notes and charge on money orders. All money exchangers should be informed that the above three types of exchanging the money should be prohibited. In case of violation criminals will be imprisoned for a long time.

11. To prevent washing cloth by young ladies along the water streams in the city. Violator ladies should be picked up with respectful Islamic manner, taken to their houses and their husbands severely punished.

12. To prevent music and dances in wedding parties. In the case of violation the head of the family will be arrested and punished.

13. To prevent the playing of music drum. The prohibition of this should be announced. If anybody does this then the religious elders can decide about it.

14. To prevent sewing ladies cloth and taking female body measures by tailor. If women or fashion magazines are seen in the shop the tailor should be imprisoned.

15. To prevent sorcery. All the related books should be burnt and the magician should be imprisoned until his repentance.

16. To prevent not praying and order gathering pray at the bazaar. Prayer should be done on their due times in all districts. Transportation should be strictly prohibited and all people are obliged to go to the Masjid. If young people are seen in the shops they will be immediately imprisoned.



1 comments:

Rachel said...

I listened to a couple podcasts about Iran recently, and I thought it was interesting that they say the restrictions on women are actually out of respect for them, to protect them and keep them from being sexualized and objectified as they are in Western culture. I think there's something to that in some instances (such as how they ban advertisements from portraying women ~ no Victoria's Secret ads would not break my heart), although by no means do I agree with all their rules. And although Iran is fairly strict I don't think it's at quite the same level as the Taliban restrictions. Also, the host pointed out that their government says that the regulations protect "family values", and that many people support them because they really do believe it to be true, so not so different from American conservatives in a way. One other thing that was interesting ~ the travel writer hosting the podcast said that he was in a taxi in Tehran and they got stuck in traffic, and the taxi driver said "Death to traffic!" The travel writer was really surprised and asked the driver about that phrase, and the driver told him it was really just an expression to show frustration and not a literal phrase. So they said that when the media shows rallies where they have signs like "Death to America!" it's really more like they're saying "Damn America" or something like that. It doesn't necessarily mean that they want all of us to die, just like how when we say damn something we don't generally mean we actually want it to go to hell. I don't know if that's really the complete truth about that expression, but I thought it was interesting.

Glad you liked the book, by the way. I'll have to borrow it back sometime since that was the one I hadn't read before :D