Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Saturday

So, I told my mom, when I talked to her on Monday morning, that I was going to write a post that day because apparently she thought I died or something because I hadn't written on here for a few days... but I didn't! Bad me! I got wrapped up in a book and never got around to putting anything on here! BUT in my defense I did put a post on here this morning and technically it was still Monday in the States so really I'm all good... right? Right.


So this last weekend Josh and I decided to get away from English Village for a much needed break. On Saturday we decided to go into the little town that we live by and just get some snacks and do a little bit of shopping. 

As always we had to wait for our taxi to come get us... I do have to say that I miss the days when we had a car and could just hop in and drive wherever we wanted whenever we wanted!
We have a this little bakery in town called Paris Baguette, it is our all time favorite place to buy bread! They have yummy pastries, cakes and ice cream... all sorts of good stuff!
We also went to our favorite nick-nack store in Yongmun. I swear this store has a little bit of everything! Everything but food and clothes... and cleaning supplies! I got some very cute slippers there, a sketch book, and some stationary, Josh got a leather bound note book and a bag. It's just a little fun store, but packed full of stuff. It may be small but you could spend an hour or more in there just going through everything! 
We also went out to eat at a little traditional Korean restaurant by the school. I had never been before to this particular restaurant before but Josh had been once before. They led us to the back of the restaurant where it was an open balcony that over looked the river. 
Traditionally Koreans will sit on pillows next to very short tables when they eat. 
This made for a very interesting time with Gabriel. The table was low enough for him to crawl on top of and also reach all the food... and when you're eating with chopsticks and having a difficult time as it is trying to get food in your mouth, having to pull a wiggly, adventurous 11 month old off the table every three minutes makes it even more challenging! 
First they gave us an appetizer... not really sure what it was but it was yummy! It was a batter that had some veggies in it and was fried, then you dipped it in some sauce and there you go! Yummy! I didn't have a problem eating that with my chopsticks, I was actually getting kind of good at it!
Then they brought us the main course. We ordered this chicken soup that was interesting. It was a whole chicken to begin with and then one of the ladies came by and cut it into pieces for us. I'm not sure what the green stuff was... or anything else in the pot! Hahaha! It was good though, you were supposed to take the chicken and dip it in a salt mixture before you ate it. 
Unfortunately ripping apart chicken legs/thighs/breast with chopsticks proved rather difficult for me... impossible really! The people who owned the restaurant noticed my difficulty and soon they came along offering me a fork... I was rather embarrassed that I was so bad with chopsticks they hunted down a fork for me, but I was grateful none the less! Oh and the background stuff in this picture is all the other side dishes that they give you with any meal. There was raw onion, a corn salad, pickles, kimchi, and other stuff... we usually don't eat too much of it because it's usually rather 'special'! 
So that was our Saturday... maybe tomorrow I will tell you what we did on Sunday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, I am excited for Gabe to come home!! I mean, I guess I am a little excited for you and Josh to come home too, I guess...but I really just can't wait to see Gabe ;)

omabear said...

Cute picture of Josh and Gabe, and you and Gabe. Looks like you had fun, the food and TABLE look FUN,Adventurous : ) : ) : ) : ) : )