Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns

So I recently bought the book A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. 

The book is about two women born and raised in Afghanistan and it goes through their lives over a period of 30 years. I have to say that the book is rather depressing. If you want a book that gives you a true look into what some women go through in Afghanistan and in the Muslim world then this is a good book. If you want a book that will give you a brief overview of the history of Afghanistan over the past thirty years and what the people had to go through with all the invasions, then this is a good book. If you don't want to be slightly depressed and you don't want to sit there and yell at some of the characters then this is not your book. The writer also has a very unique style of writing. I've never read a book quite like his before. He does make it work for him but a lot of his writing is almost like he is stating facts instead of telling a story. The first 2/3 of the book he was able to state facts in a story telling way, but the last 1/3 of the book I felt like he just wanted to be finished and was throwing stuff on the page.

Overall I think that it is a good book, but I don't think that it is for everybody. It was good enough for me to finish in two days and I still think about the characters and the things that they went through... but I personally wouldn't go buy it again. It might be one of those books that you borrow from the library, but not to spend $20 on. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I disagree :) I LOVED this book. I actually borrowed it from someone and hope to find it at a garage sale or something so I can have my own copy. If you get rid of yours give it to me! :) Yes, the book totally pissed me off, but I thought it was a great story and I thought it was well written...that's just my two cents ;)