Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Opa's Cake

I haven't blogged lately, life has been busy. But I have quite a few things to put up and I will get to that this week.

Last week was my dad's birthday. I decided at the last minute to make a cake for him and I've never thrown a fondant cake together so 'quickly'. See normally when I know I'm making a cake I start preparing days in advance, making fondant, coloring it, making figures, making modeling chocolate, figuring out pictures, designs ect. This time I made the fondant the night before his birthday and then on his birthday while he was at work I threw together the rest of it.

I've never used edible paint before so this was my first time. I've made do with other things to make it look like edible paint but I finally bought some of the actual stuff (I was pretty excited when it came in the mail). I had to mix it together and I ended up putting a bit too much liquid in it so it was a little thin but it still worked really well. I had also never used coconut pecan frosting before, much less have tried to get it work with fondant... but that's a whole other story... it's very soft frosting...

Since my dad is a true hunter/trapper/fishing type of guy I figured I would do something along those lines so I painted a white tail buck at sunset in some tall grass.


Gabriel and his Opa on Opa's birthday...

Happy Birthday Dad! (even though I'm kinda a week late putting this up :D)

0 comments: