Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Art...

What is art? Does art depend on the eye of the creator, the eye of the viewer? Does it depend on opinion? Sometimes I will see something on television, someone will claim something it as 'art' and I think it could be anything but the truth. But then again, I think my two year old scribbles is art.

When I went to my Discipleship Training School (DTS) in Switzerland about 5 years ago I had this teacher that spoke a lot about art. He said that art was anything that a person does deliberately. Therefore anything, painting, singing, dancing, murdering, sitting down, scrunching your nose, prostitution ect. could be art.

This made my friend Whitney and I very annoyed. Out of our school of (I think) 26 students Whitney and I were the drawers, painters, artsy people. There were dancers and musicians in the school too, but they didn't seem to get as annoyed as Whitney and I did. Actually, Whitney made much more of a stand against it then I did in class, but I was cheering her on :)

It took me awhile to wrap my head around it, but I really had no choice but to agree with him in the end, however much it pained me to do so. I didn't want what I enjoyed creating so much to be in the same category as murder, but alas it was. Art is art, deliberate human action.

Now, if you are anything like I was when I started my DTS 5 years ago, you will be fiery mad right now about my statement here. That's ok. I don't blame you. Sometimes I still get that way too. Especially when I see something that someone created that is absolutly beautiful, how can two things, say burping on que and the Mona Lisa, both be labeled as art? *Sigh.

I'm gonna go and create some art... and do the dishes ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree!

G'ma