Friday, September 24, 2010

Delightful French Bread

So I've been looking for bread recipes in some of Josh's old cookbooks that he picked up somewhere throughout his existence. I don't know where these cookbooks came from but he's had them since before we were married. While looking through them I came across the recipe for 'Delightful French Bread'... delightful? I was intrigued so I decided to try it except I didn't want purely white bread as the recipe called for so I used half wheat flour and half white flour (I hear it's a bad to substitute all wheat flour when the recipe calls for all white flour, things can potentially not work out so it's better to only substitute part of it).

Here's what you'll need:

2.5 Cups warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt (yeah it's a little much for bread but it is spread out over two large loafs)
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
2 Packages dry yeast
6 Cups white flour (I used 3 cups white and 3 cups wheat flour)
1 Egg
Sesame OR Poppy seed

Pour warm water (105-115 degrees) into large mixing bowl and dissolve yeast in water...



Stir in sugar, salt, oil and half the flour...

Beat vigorously for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour and mix thoroughly...

Leave spoon in the heavy batter and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Stir down. Again allow to rest for 10 minutes and stir down again. Repeat this process until the dough has been stirred down 5 times. The texture of the dough will change quite a bit...


Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead dough enough to coat with flour so it can be handled (5 or 6 times). Divide dough in half. Roll each part into 9x12 inch rectangles. Roll up from long side like a jelly roll. Pinch seam to seal dough and arrange loaves on a large baking sheet that has been sprinkled with corn meal, allow room for loaves to expand as they rise.

Cover lightly and let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled (about 30 minutes). With a very sharp knife cut three gashes at an angle on top. Brush with slightly beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. I forgot to take a picture of this before I put it in the oven so I turned on our oven light and took a picture while it was baking...

Bake immediately for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from baking sheet and cool on racks.

And there you have it! Delightful French Bread! It actually was very very good! I will definitely be making this bread again! It's not exactly what I'm looking for but I still have yet to make the bread recipe that my cousin gave me. Either way, we have been eating this bread up like it was candy, so good!

1 comments:

Obbr0801 said...

my m om has a little trick of adding a splash of lemon juice to her bread dough (french and flavored variations) which helps i can't say why but it does make the bread super yummy.