Monday, December 6, 2010

My first fondant cake!

If you haven't guessed already, I love to bake. To me it's fun, relaxing and a way that I can be creative. I've been known to throw things together to create something new and yummy and I have also been known to throw things together and create something not so delicious and yummy. Still, I love to bake. I love to bake so much that many times, I would bake things just to bake them and then find someone to give them too because I didn't really want to eat what I baked, I just wanted to bake it!

Two years ago Josh and I lived in an apartment that had free basic cable. I found this show called Amazing Wedding Cakes and I LOVED it! I think they only had one season and I watched every episode every time it was on, even if I had already watched it three times. I'm not kidding when I say I absolutely loved this show. Josh thought I was a little nuts but I couldn't get enough of it. It made me want to make cake. I mean, I've always wanted to make those nice fancy cakes that you see at weddings but this show made me really REALLY want to make cake.

Then we moved to South Korea and I never made the cake. It was always in the back of my mind but I never had the chance really to make anything. Then the other day we were looking through Netflix and we found seasons of Cake Boss. Seriously, when we came across it I was way overly excited. Just ask Josh. We've been watching the episodes and it made me want to make cake even more! So yesterday, I made my first two tier fondant cake!



I learned a lot making the cake. Like fondant isn't as easy to make as I thought. I ended up putting too much powdered sugar in some of it so it was a little hard to work with. I also didn't intend my bottom layer to be so dark. I wanted a dark brown and I kept adding brown coloring and it didn't seem to get any darker so Josh put in a dab of black and it turned out to be too much. We also couldn't find edible food paint so I used icing coloring for the design on top. I had intended a more complicated design but the icing coloring wasn't working very well so I just did something simple. And I didn't have a white color to do the bottom half. Anyway, it was a good first cake, I'm excited to make more, I just need to find people to eat it after I make it :)

2 comments:

Katie Brown said...

It looks great! You can bake a cake for me any time!

Kristina said...

Nice job! Very cute