Friday, July 30, 2010

a little shocked

Josh is at his friends house playing games and both of my kids are sleeping. This is a very rare moment by myself, so what am I doing? I'm watching Primetime! Hahaha, I know I'm a nerd! This is not a show that I normally watch but they are doing one of those specials 'What Would You Do' and it caught my interest. In these shows they hire actors to pretend to be normal people in situations where people usually need help or to have someone stand up for them and the show wants to see what the average person who walks by would do.

On the show tonight they had their actors walk down the street and pretend to pass out and they set up their cameras to see if people would help. So their first actor was a young woman who was dressed in nice clothes. Within 6 seconds of her passing out someone was always there to help. The second actor they had was an older man dressing like a homeless person. Every time he passed out the average time it took someone to help him was 3 minutes! I was shocked but not as shocked as I was to see what happened next. Next they had their actor who was pretending to be homeless hold a beer can after passing out to see if people would help. I was beyond shocked when 88 people walked by and not one even considered helping! Some even made fun of him! Finally a woman came along who herself was homeless and she started asking other people walking by to please call 911 for the man... 26 more people walked by and ignored both of them, even with her asking for help, before finally a woman stopped and called 911! These are normal everyday people that just on walked by!

In what world do we live in where it's ok not to help someone who is clearly in trouble? I'm just baffled right now. I don't even know what to think! Sorry for my extremely random post... it just, I don't know, makes me mad... or shocked... or something... I'm a little speechless right now. Again I have to ask the question, in what world do we live in that it's ok not to help someone who is clearly in trouble?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kayla-That's great your building has a play area! I didn't see the t.v. show you talked about, but it sure reminded me of Jesus' Parable of the Good Samaritan! (Luke 10:25-37) Kathy (Rachel's Mom)