Saturday, February 5, 2011

Canned Goods

I hate canned food. Besides the fact that canned food is more unhealthy for you then frozen or fresh it also tastes different. It tastes like it's been sitting in a can, which to me is gross, it has a metal taste to it. I don't consciously think 'oh I need to avoid that aisle because everything is canned' when I go grocery shopping or 'I shouldn't eat that, it's in a can' it more just comes natural, I don't like it that much so I don't buy it.

I never really thought about how much I dislike canned items or if I was really any different then the average person until I had a Pampered Chef party back in October. The consultant wanted to demonstrate her can opener so she asked me if I had anything canned that she could open that I would use soon. When she asked I even thought 'sure, everyone has something canned they always use' because most people do. Then I opened my cupboard and the only thing I had canned was salmon and a can of baked beans I've had in there since July (I still have the same thing, just add peaches and for some reason Josh bought Cream of Celery soup and I don't know what to cook with that). I gave her a can of salmon to open and then I think I threw it because I wasn't in the mood for salmon dip before it went bad. That and opening up canned fish always grosses me out and after it sat in the fridge for a day or two I just couldn't stomach to eat it. Something about the juices and smell... gross. I try not to look or smell when I make salmon dip until everything has been added and it's done, otherwise I loose my appetite. Don't even get me started on tuna... Ok, you got me started (or at least I did)...

Josh has made tuna sandwiches a whole of 2-3 times in our marriage and every time he does I walk around holding my breath and gaging while I open up every window in our house. Then I stick my head out the window while the house airs out so I don't have to breath in the smell. So. Gross. In my opinion anyway. Then one time I was on a missions trip and the lady whose house we were staying knew that I didn't like tuna and she was very deteremined that I would like it. So, she made tuna pizza.... yeah, I ate it... I hated every minute of it and then told her it tasted great. Then I was so happy to leave before she could make it again!

Anyway.

I think maybe my dislike for canned foods came from how I was raised. My mom didn't buy stuff in cans that often and she had/has this big beautiful garden that she would freeze her veggies from for the whole year and they tasted, and still taste, amazing. I've had canned veggies a few times in my life and honestly I have a hard time putting them down. They are mushy and to me taste nothing like the actual thing.

What do you think? Do you buy canned? Do you like it better then fresh or frozen? Am I just weird that I think it tastes like metal ;) ?

0 comments: