Friday, January 28, 2011

My latest fight...

Eli and I are having a fight. It goes something like this...

Me: "Eli, you need to sleep through the night."
Eli: "No Mom, you don't understand, I can't!"
Me: "Yes you can. You sleep through the night about once a week. How can you go from sleeping through the night one night and then have to get up three times the next night?"
Eli: "Um, well, it's because I, I, um... it's because I go so long without eating the first night that I have to make up for it the next. Yeah, that's right. It takes my stomach awhile to catch up Mom!"
Me: "Eli, you're lying."
Eli: "No, no I'm not Mom. I need to eat at night. I'm hungry."
Me: "You're not hungry. If you can make it through the night one night a week then you should be able to make it the other six. You are consistently following this pattern of one good night, six bad nights."
Eli: "What's 'consistently' mean?"
Me: "That's besides the point. You need to sleep through the night."
Eli: "Nope, not gonna do it Mom!"
Me: "Yes you are!"
Eli: "But I can't go back to sleep without my tummy full of warm milk... and I kinda just like snuggling with you at midnight... and 3AM... and 5AM... and sometimes 1AM and 2AM too! Mommy, I love you."
Me: (this is where I get stuck, my baby just wants me!) "I love you too. Please? Please sleep?"
Eli: "No."

The end.

This is Eli. After fighting with him two hours one night he still wouldn't sleep so I finally gave in and nursed him back to sleep in bed.


Sigh. He's so cute... Probably why he's getting away with this!

0 comments: