Thursday, November 11, 2010

Potty Training

My computer finally isn't dead, we got a new computer cord for it so I was finally able to upload some pictures and update a few things. I have a few things to share with you but the most challenging and new thing around our home is potty training. Potty. Training. Is. Hard. Yep, very hard.

I was going to start potty training last week but then decided against it. I knew that Gabriel is showing all the signs of being ready, but I also knew that potty training was going to be challenging and didn't know if I was up for it quite yet. But two days ago we were sitting at the kitchen table and Gabriel all the sudden said 'potty' and so I sat him on the toilet and he peed! I was so excited! I thought maybe it wasn't going to be as hard as I assumed. The day went on and he peed on the potty 3 times that morning with 1 accident. AMAZING! And then, *sigh, nap time came and he woke up and changed his mind about peeing on the potty and went every single time in his underwear. I was a little bummed but I knew that kids had accidents so we kept at it for the evening and cleaned up a lot of accidents, never once peeing on the potty.

The next morning came along and I thought it was going to be a good day and he was drinking lots of liquids so I was excited about the potty training that day. He peed in his underwear about 20 times that morning (or so it seemed). I was reallllly wishing we had hard wood floors at that point! After nap time he was put in a diaper because I didn't want to clean up any more accidents for the day. Also during nap time he had taken off all his clothes, including diaper and peed all over his bed and then sat in it. He has gotten in trouble for this a few times already and I was rather mad when I discovered him laying in his pee when he knows fully well not to take off his diaper. Heck, I even remind him every time I put him to bed not to take off his diaper, but he did... again. I had made up my mind that we were going to wait to potty train because, well, just because. I was rather sick of cleaning up pee to be honest.

Then I was laying in bed last night and thought 'if I give up then these last two days were for nothing... we'll see how morning goes'. This morning came along and I put him in a diaper and waited until he peed. From that point on he was in underwear and I made him sit on the toilet every 30-45 minutes until he peed. No waiting 5 minutes then taking him off only to find him peeing his pants 2 minutes later, oh noooo, we were not going through that again. I was going to sit there until he peed. Thankfully he peed almost every time without having to sit there for forever and if he didn't we would take 10-15 minutes and then come back. The only accident of the morning was when he pooped. And now my bottom hurts from sitting on a kiddy size stool all morning long. Even Eli had his lunch with Mama on that stool. Anyway. It. Is. Hard.

We're not giving up quite yet. We are going to try this for a little bit longer. I really do believe he is ready but if we find that he's not then, well, I guess I'm learning a lot for next time. But, hopefully there wont be a next time, hopefully this is the time and we get through this. If you have any advice I all ears :)

1 comments:

Kristina said...

I had that same thought when I took away V's pacifier..."if I give in now these last few days were for nothing." stick with it, he'll get it. Consistency is key, you'll be able to tell soon if he's ready. My only advice is to consider offering rewards when he goes on the potty...like a sticker chart or something. We used to do that at work...good luck!