Friday, January 8, 2010

Wedding

This past Saturday I shot my first ever wedding. I was rather nervous going into the day considering the only thing I have ever done photography wise has been graduation pictures and posing pictures to raise money in Switzerland. I wasn't supposed to do all the posing shots this time though. No, they had another, professional, photographer there for part of the day to shoot all the posing shots and the ceremony. I was there more in the background while the bride got ready and to catch all the activity going on behind the scenes.

The day didn't start out to my liking, I have to admit. When I woke up that morning it was -30 degrees. Brrrrrr....!!!!! My brother was kind enough to start my car at 7AM when he went to start his (he was going to work) so when I got to my car it wasn't like I was sitting on ice blocks. About 4-5 miles from my parents home my tire decides that it wants to go flat. For most people this creates a problem, for me, well it wasn't just a small problem, it was gigantic! One, I wasn't dressed for -30 degree weather, I was dressed in wedding clothes. Two, my parents live in the middle of nowhere, literally. There was not going to be any car driving by any time soon that could help. Three, I did not have a phone (not like it would have worked in the middle of nowhere, but it might have). And four, well, I've only changed a tire once and I could barely lift the thing onto the spokes, so I wasn't really going to try to change a tire that I knew I probably couldn't while freezing my bum off and frostbiting my fingers. Not to mention, I was going to be late for the brides hair appointment.

So what does a girl do in my situation? Well, you get you not-dressed-warm-enough bum out of the car and speed walk to the nearest house to use their phone meanwhile freezing your lungs, cheeks, ears, nose, eyes and any other part of your body that wasn't covered. I was worried of course. I mean, who knows whose house I'm going to knock on, it could be some creepy murder for all I knew! Also, if these people didn't answer their door there wasn't another house within a mile of where I was that I could walk to and ask for help.

Luckily, a rather large man in his 50's (and in his PJ's) answered the door and was very nice and let me use his phone. I called my parents where I woke up my Dad from his peaceful slumber. He agreed to come change my tire and I told him where I was at. Unfortunately, he was half asleep while I was talking to him so he took the wrong road to come and find me and headed towards Duluth before he realized that he was going too far and needed to turn around. By the time he arrived it was already 8 o'clock and that was when the brides hair appointment was supposed to start. My Dad was kind enough to just let me take his car to the wedding and he would drive my car home after he fixed the tire.

By the time I arrived at the hair appointment the bride was already done with her hair appointment. I felt extremely bad but she didn't seem to mind at all. I did get a few shots of her doing her nails and hanging out with her other bridesmaids while they got their hair done.





We headed to the church and the bride got ready.













Like I said, I wasn't really there to do the posed pictures but I did catch a few and some other random pictures.











Then there was the ceremony of course...





And then came the party!
The first dance...



During the Father-Daughter dance...


The groom and the mother of the bride...


One of the ring bearers and the flower girl (also brother and sister)...


Time to party!




I left around 10 o'clock at night when the dollar dance had started. It ended up being a fun day and I also learned a lot about taking pictures!

Congratulations Tim and Breanna!!!

0 comments: