Sunday, January 30, 2011

One of the funniest moments in my marriage...

One of the funniest moments in Josh and I's marriage was the summer after we first got married. We went out to visit my parents and Josh decided to take a ride on their horse named Charisma. Now, Charisma is an Arabian which are not the biggest horses, and Charisma is small even for her breed. Josh is tall. So already, you need to picture this small dainty horse with a big tall man sitting atop her... it's an awkward picture... and rather humorous.

First Josh tried to catch her. He wrapped his arms around her neck which she didn't like so she started to run around in circle... Josh never let go. So Charisma got to drag Josh around the pen for a minute or two until I mention that we could just give her feed to make her calm down and slip the halter on while she was eating. I could have mentioned this before he did his little tango with her around the pen, but it was so much funnier to wait until after.

We saddle her up and Josh, whom hasn't really ridden horses before, was determined to go out all on his own with her. Must be a manly moment thing, trying to prove that he could do it, didn't need advice, didn't need a girl to lead him around, he's a man, he's gotta prove it... errr something like that. So he gets on and directs her to start walking in my parents yard (which is huge by the way). They get about half way up this hill across the yard when Charisma starts to do a little dance. Now, me, standing by the pen where we had saddled the horse up could tell immediately that she was getting skittish, that she needed to be reined in a circle... to not have her jaw yanked on so hard by an oversized man whom was beginning to freak out... ahem, she just needed a gentle voice and a firm (but not THAT firm) hand.

Well Charisma freaked out. She spins around super fast and starts to take off towards the pen where I was standing. This means that I got the best view for the show. Upon Charisma taking off running Josh decided to let go of the reins and hold on to the saddle for dear life. Now, most people would hold on to the horn on the saddle... it's the most logical place. Not my husband, oh no. He grabs underneath the front of the saddle and leans back with all his might which causes the saddle to lift off the horse. So from my view, I have the freaked out horse running straight at me with an oversized man sitting on top with a look of sheer terror on his face holding the underneath part of a saddle which is causing it to ride up. Charisma runs right up to me and stops abruptly, and since Josh was leaning back as hard as he could he didn't have much balance, so when she stopped it caused him to launch forward onto her neck. Upon stopping I think Josh looked at me for a second like 'what the hell just happened? Am I actually alive?' then he jumped off the horse faster then I've ever seen anyone dismount before.

My husband hasn't ridden horse by himself since.

Now. You may think that I am cruel for laughing my head off when my newlywed hubby gets the poo scared out of him. You can think I'm cruel for laughing before the horse even stopped running. And you can think I'm cruel for still teasing him to this day about the look on his face and the funny position he hung on for dear life in. My mom, whom was standing next to me the entire time was laughing just as hard as I was. And my husband cheeks still turn slightly pink when this story comes up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a good writer,Kayla-keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.